NYCichlids.net

Incorporating Victorian Cichlids

Paratilapia Polleni?

Postby demonss » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:28 pm

Hello all, long time no post. I was at my lps and they have some polleni in stock and healthy. Does anybody here have any experience with them? They will be growing out in a 40 breeder for now with 2 mystery fish (possibly umbees).
Continue learning until you're content, then share your knowledge with those on the same path.
demonss
Newbie Starting out
Newbie Starting out

Zip Code: 13601

Re: Paratilapia Polleni?

Postby joe jaskot » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:03 pm

Pretty fish. Males can be a little hard on females when sexually mature. Otherwise, pretty easy to keep.
joe jaskot
NYCichlidforum Gold Member

Postby demonss » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:38 pm

Nice, is there a sure-fire way to sex them young? I would like to pick up a pair if i could pick them out.
Continue learning until you're content, then share your knowledge with those on the same path.
demonss
Newbie Starting out
Newbie Starting out

Zip Code: 13601

Postby joe jaskot » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:37 pm

Males are usually much larger and darker than females. Males often have typical male cichlid characteristics - pointed dorsal fin, slight nuchal hump. From the net: Sexing Paratilapia is generally fairly easy. Males are usually larger with more pointed fins and, as stated, often lack the vivid coloration of females. At a larger size the genital papillae also give clues, as the male is long and pointed while the female is shorter, thicker, and, in some species, slightly wrinkled.

Males often develop a spectacular nuchal hump in adulthood.
joe jaskot

Return to West African, Madagascar, Victorian and Asian Species