NYCichlids.net

Yes there are other fish besides cichlids

Re: Synodontis Petricola and Synodontis Lucipinnis

Postby Josef » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:51 pm

It's great to see so many more people spawning these now! Awesome.

I have to get another group. I sold them some time ago. I promise I'll keep them this time! LOL
Josef

Postby jerrytheplater » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:23 am

So I was searching for this post and from it see that the original Synodontis lucipinnis I bought at Pet Shanty in Oct 2007 are now 8 years old. They are in with a Multie colony. I have 6 more that are maybe three years old in a 65 gallon tank. I must have posted about them on the site to get the date. I'll have to check.

Reason for posting today:

I want to put a breeding pair of Neolamprologus leleupi in a 65 gallon tank with 6 adult S. lucipinnis and some Endler livebearer females. I can forsee the cats fighting over a coconut shell breeding cave for the leleupi. There will be plenty of rocks in the tank and places for caves for the cats. I am limited to space to place the leleupi. I want to raise some fry to have more of these fish.

Do you think the cats will eat the leleupi fry? There are fry from the Telmatochromis temporalis that I just removed from this tank. Some, maybe 3 or 4 were 3/4" long. The 6 others are now 1/4" long. They survived, but I am now thinking that these fish have had larger spawns for me before. Maybe they did get eaten by the cats.
jerrytheplater

Zip Code: 07403 - 07501

Postby Rockfish » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:55 am

I would say the cats are definitely going to eat any fry they can, some will always survive in a well decorated or rocked tank with plenty of places to hide but certainly not all.
Please feel free to PM me with any questions, suggestions or concerns
Rockfish
Owner
Owner

Zip Code: Dutchess County NY

Postby jerrytheplater » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:46 am

About 5 fry from the Telmatochromis temporalis are still in the tank and are only 1/4" long. They only have the one huge rock on the bottom of the tank to hide around, but the cats are under it as well as all over the tank. But I don't know how many started out.

I'm going to try making a cave and giving more room for the cats.
jerrytheplater

Postby jerrytheplater » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:04 pm

So one year later. All of the Telmatochromis fry are gone. I don't have any of them any more. Gave them to Rachel of MsJinkzd fame.

The Synodontis lucipinnis have spawned and I found one 3/4" fry at feeding time one day. Its now maybe 2" long. That really shocked me. An egg obviously was overlooked by the cats.

I'm going to be moving my original Synodontis lucipinnis cats from home to the 40 breeder under the 65 once I replace the current leaking 40 breeder. I want to get these cats out of my Multi colony tank. They eat all the fry. I see spawns and swimming fry, but they don't last.
jerrytheplater

Postby Mr Rivera » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:19 pm

I remember this post :)
Mr Rivera
Newbie Starting out
Newbie Starting out

Zip Code: 08873

Previous

Return to Other Fish