I have found sundue and I think a pitcher plant in upstate NY
vinman
NYCichlidforum Gold Member

Zip Code: 10461

Re: Carnivorous Plants

Postby jerrytheplater » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:33 pm

vinman wrote:I have found sundue and I think a pitcher plant in upstate NY

The native pitcher plant Sarracenia purpurea can grow as far north as Newfoundland. Freezing is no problem. Sundews are found worldwide. Many species around.
jerrytheplater

Zip Code: 07403 - 07501

Postby Chillout » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:05 pm

What's the typical setup for a Venus flytrap, just a pot and moss or does it require a terrarium setup with lots of moisture? I had a few before but always seemed to die, but I admit I used faucet water. Now I have an rodi system and would like to give it another try. Im thinking of trying this one:

http://www.carnivorousplantnursery.com/ ... product=13
Chillout
NYCichlidforum Addict
NYCichlidforum Addict

Postby color » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:31 pm

I would like to try a venus fry trap one day. Looks really cool.......
color
Longstanding Member
Longstanding Member

Postby jerrytheplater » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:15 pm

VFT need full sun outdoors in the early spring when temps are in mid 30's till just before the first fall frost. They also need a dormancy period in the winter. You can take them out of the pot, twist off all of the leaves, store in moist sphagnum peat moss in plastic bag in refrigerator until spring. Check to see that mold does not start from time to time. If you have a way to keep them cold, above freezing and sunny, you don't have to take them out of the pot. I am able to bring them to a wholesale greenhouse a friend works at for the winter. They keep the heat above freezing to keep the pipes unfrozen. Works great.

Only use milled sphagnum peat moss or 50/50 peat moss and silica sand as a potting mixture. No limestone. Plants need constant moisture, but don't need a terrarium. I keep my pots in 1" deep saucers filled with water. I water with DI water, or my tap water kept in a bucket with a good half gallon of sphagnum peat moss in the bottom. I just keep it refilled with rain water and tap.

Never fertilize. Insects they catch are enough.

The flowers will set seed and you will get volunteer seedlings all over if you aren't careful.
jerrytheplater

Postby vinman » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:26 am

jerrytheplater wrote:VFT need full sun outdoors in the early spring when temps are in mid 30's till just before the first fall frost. They also need a dormancy period in the winter. You can take them out of the pot, twist off all of the leaves, store in moist sphagnum peat moss in plastic bag in refrigerator until spring. Check to see that mold does not start from time to time. If you have a way to keep them cold, above freezing and sunny, you don't have to take them out of the pot. I am able to bring them to a wholesale greenhouse a friend works at for the winter. They keep the heat above freezing to keep the pipes unfrozen. Works great.

Only use milled sphagnum peat moss or 50/50 peat moss and silica sand as a potting mixture. No limestone. Plants need constant moisture, but don't need a terrarium. I keep my pots in 1" deep saucers filled with water. I water with DI water, or my tap water kept in a bucket with a good half gallon of sphagnum peat moss in the bottom. I just keep it refilled with rain water and tap.

Never fertilize. Insects they catch are enough.

The flowers will set seed and you will get volunteer seedlings all over if you aren't careful.

Now I know where I went wrong Thanks Jerry
vinman

Zip Code: 10461

Postby jerrytheplater » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:38 pm

Well I just made a YouTube video of my Carnivorous Plant collection minus the native Sarracenia purpurea. I ran out of time and couldn't add them in. This video is still uploading now, but here is the link once it becomes active: https://youtu.be/qvhfeygAj7M
jerrytheplater

Previous

Return to Gardening: Vegetable, Landscape, and more